12 September 2005

Crickets in the Camp Glisson Kudzu and other Tunes

I was just responding to a plea from Amy in her blog for songs to sing to Drew. My answer to her, of course, was to think back to the evenings of "Singing on the Porch" after dinner at Camp Glisson. Every night after the evening meal all of the living groups (a group of two counselors and their 10-12 campers) would gather on that porch, sit on the love-worn stones that the porch was made of and sing along with a few guitars and occasionally a tambourine.

To this day, 12 years after the last time I left Camp Glisson as a counselor, thinking back on that activity still makes me smile. I cannot think of S.O.P. without also thinking of some of the names that I remember coming up as a camper and then as a counselor...Shelnutt, Baby Rich, Bennnnnnnnnn, Andy, Chris...and of course Offutt. I guess I should have recommended that Amy sing "Clarice" or "Crickets in the Kudzu" to Drew, but I'm not sure that he would appreciate the words just yet. Visit his website linked above. You'll be glad you did.

"Don't go cricket, don't go!!"
"...sitting on a carpeted basketball court listening to a tall skinny dork sing...with little orange cones all around him..."

No comments:

Music Monday: Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow...

No, I'm not going to quote the Scottish play. But I am going to recommend a singer that I'd never heard before tonight, as I was wat...