25 November 2011

See ya later, autumn...roll on January.

Gradient by Nancy Dunne
Gradient, a photo by Nancy Dunne on Flickr.
Well, that's one down, five to go in the 2011-2012 Anti-Holiday season. Thanksgiving 2011 is in the history books now.

Oh, sorry Lettuce readers, I guess you didn't get the memo because I've been trying to be a bit more positive around here...I suppose the end result is that I haven't been posting much at all and that's why you may not have known about the Anti Holiday Proclamation of 2011.

Let me recap: There will be no holidays recognized until I'm in the same country with my husband. I'm not out to tell anyone how to behave in their own homes, mind. If you want to celebrate then I hope you have all the blessings and happiness the season can bestow. But as for me and my house, we will pass, thanks.

I've been told on loads of occasions and by scores of people that I need to get over it. Simon will be here soon enough. We can celebrate everything that we've missed once Simon has moved. Um, no thanks. I'd rather just skip it and try again next year.

And no, for those who have hinted both subtly and otherwise, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'll be 40 years old in a day and half. Nothing at all. It has everything to do with the thing I love the most being four thousand miles away.

So that's what's up at the Lettuce...basically a whole lot of purposeful nothing, until our birthdays, Christmas, New Year and our 3rd wedding anniversary are over. If that's difficult for you to accept, and you feel the need to try to convince me otherwise, can I please invite you to focus on your own holiday season? I promise, I'll be just fine here when you get back in January. Just. Fine.

No comments:

Music Monday: Road Trips, Camp Friends, and Philosophy Of Loss

[From a post on the Book of Faces] I want to tell you about my good friend Brina. She was able to get some tickets to see the Indigo Girls l...