12 September 2022

A Happy Birthday Wish, One Day Late

The McDonald Children
Yesterday, September 11, would have been my Aunt Mary's 93rd birthday. She never married or had any children, so I try to remember her birthday because, like my Aunt Inez on my dad's side, she was very special to us growing up. 

While my dad's sister could very well have been a second mother to us, Aunt Mary was like the older sister I never had. She had impeccable taste when it came to picking out jewelry, she made fudge that could have started a fight it was so good, and she could stand up to my mother and her older brothers in her soft-spoken way that I wish I'd learned to do.

In fact, I remember suggesting to my mother that Aunt Mary move in with her since my father was in care and she was living alone. "Oh, no," she replied, "Mary and I wouldn't live together well. Neither of us wants that." 😄 (After hearing tales of how Aunt Mary and my Uncle Lewis couldn't ride long distances in the car together because they both liked to wind each other up and seeing her square off with Mom over holiday meal prep, I believed it.)

So happy Birthday, Aunt Mary. I hope all 5 of your siblings are with you for a glorious birthday dinner where -
to quote my Uncle Harold's famous proclamation when my father met my mom’s family, "nothing makes anyone sick." I also hope you and Uncle Lewis don't end up in a "debate."  

I love you and miss you very much. Please hug Aunt Jane, Mom, Uncle Sanford, Uncle Lewis, and Uncle Harold for me. 

No comments:

Music Monday: Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow...

No, I'm not going to quote the Scottish play. But I am going to recommend a singer that I'd never heard before tonight, as I was wat...