19 June 2023

Music Monday: Of High School Memories and Age Related Concerns

When I was in high school, a MILLION years ago, I was actively involved in my church's youth program. Kinda hard NOT to be, when one is the eldest daughter of the minister, right? Anyway, we were constantly raising money for one trip or another, and one of those fundraisers came in the form of a talent show (and maybe spaghetti dinner? I can't remember). My good friend and resident Duckie (IYKYK Pretty in Pink), Sean, and I did a rendition of "Just You Wait" from My Fair Lady, and then Sean, another friend, and our MYF (again, IYKYK) leader (who is now in the Virginia State Legislature) did a skit that involved the SC state dance, the Shag. Shag is in the Swing family, I think. 

So, I heard this song on telly recently and had to add it to my summer playlist. I've forgotten the steps in the TEN MINUTES AND I WILL NOT BE TAKING QUESTIONS since that talent show, but I still remember it fondly when this song comes on. Enjoy (lyrics are in captions).

PS - because my brain is about half British at this point, you can imagine how CAREFUL I had to be to write a blog post about this dance style. Giggles abundant. 

No comments:

May 2024 Newsletter

It's gonna be...May. I really couldn't help myself with that...as I write this, it's the end of April, so I'm not wrong. Mov...