28 September 2005

Some Thoughts on Peace

A poem from the National Catholic Reporter:
Observation
As in Orwell’s 1984
in which the Ministry of Peace
wages war,
the president claims
that our troops will be fighting
to bring peace
and liberate people.
There’s some truth here.
Iraqis bombed into the bosom
of Allah
will be liberated
from our campaign of terror,
and no people
are more peaceful
than the dead.
-- Sr. Patricia Schnapp, RSM
Adrian, Mich.


From Primary School Petko R. Slaveikov -- Vratza, Bulgaria, via Walls that Talk:
I have a dream:
For all people happy in the world,
We must say ‘Stop’ to war.
No more wars in this world!

No more tears on children’s cheeks.
I don’t want to see pain
And sadness in their eyes any more.

Without peace the birds will not sing,
There will be pain in our hearts.
I want peace in the world.

Preslav Plamenov, 9 years


The real and lasting victories are those of peace, and not of war.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence.
- Mahatma Gandhi


The last quote is from a man I consider to be one of the brightest and most intuitive that ever lived, A.A. Milne. When I worked as a camp counselor at Camp Glisson, a United Methodist summer camp, a lot of the discussions and groups that I had with my campers were based in Milne's writing. In my opinion, there is more of the true word of God in Winnie the Pooh than in the entirety of the Religious Right. If only we could see everyone as weeds we need to get to know better, eh?

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.
"Eeyore" from Winnie the Pooh
--A. A. Milne

No comments:

Music Monday: Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow...

No, I'm not going to quote the Scottish play. But I am going to recommend a singer that I'd never heard before tonight, as I was wat...