21 February 2006

Thump, Thump, Thump...

From the South Carolina Bar Association's website...
Mental cruelty and incompatibility are not grounds for divorce in South Carolina.
Before a divorce can be granted, the Court must determine that efforts at getting the husband and wife back together have failed or that attempts at reconciliation would not be practical. Corroboration or verifying testimony about the grounds is necessary before the Court will grant a divorce.
Can I just move back home to Georgia really quick?

From Divorce Interactive (bold type is mine):
Georgia divorce laws have maintained for 13 grounds required for divorce. Among these grounds are adultery and cruel treatment. However, most divorces in Georgia are granted on the no-fault ground that the marriage is irretrievably broken and without fault or wrongdoing. Additionally, one of the spouses must have resided in Georgia for at least 6 months prior to filing for a decree of divorce in Georgia.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not implying any kind of treatment of that sort toward me by Scott. I'm saying that it is incredibly sad to the point of pitiful that a spouse can mentally abuse his/her spouse and the state of South Carolina finds nothing wrong with that...at least not wrong enough that a divorce from the perpetrator will be granted.

I'm back to the place, I think, where I just want to wake up tomorrow morning and be free and clear to move on with my life. I should have been born in a sit-com. However, since I was born in the real world and chose to move to South Carolina after getting married, I have to wait until November of this year to be free. Happy Birthday to me, I suppose.

2 comments:

Nancy E. Dunne said...

Did you do anything in that year? Hire a lawyer? File some kind of separation agreement?

You know, in reading the SC divorce laws this morning, you could have filed for divorce on the grounds of desertion and gotten it done a lot faster since he moved out...I think. After awhile the legalese starts to make my brain hurt.

Nancy E. Dunne said...

From what I've read, you don't HAVE to file that agreement, especially if you're agreeable about the separation of property and such. Some people do, though, to make sure that everything is covered. /sigh

Music Monday: Of Living Masterpieces

I will admit to being low-key obsessed and potentially hyper fixated on the latest album from an artist I'd never really heard of before...