15 February 2006

Another BlogThing Quiz and a Bit of Nostalgia

Arty Kid

Whether you were a drama freak or an emo poet, you definitely were expressive and unique.

You're probably a little less weird these days - but even more talented!
This quiz struck me because last week I got a phone call from one of my dearest friends from high school, Sean...fellow Artsy Freaky Kid.

Remember Pretty in Pink? Sean was Duckie to my Andie. In fact, I still call him Duckie. He is probably one of the most sentimental men I know, and he remembers EVERY minute of high school like he had some kind of betamax recorder running in his head from 1984-1989. The reason he called, though, was to see if I remembered something from the years right after high school and I am mortified to admit that when he asked me, I couldn't remember.

My freshman year of college Sean joined the Air Force. Shortly thereafter he was sent to the Gulf as part of Desert Shield. I still remember my mother calling me at Camp Glisson where I was working to tell me that Sean had been sent overseas. Suddenly everything was too real and too bright and we were adults and high school was over. Everything was not going to go back to being okay at the end of the half hour like it did on TV. My Duckie was on the other side of the world, and there might be people shooting at him.

One night, in the middle of the night, my phone rang in my dorm room at Young Harris. It was Sean, calling me from the Persian Gulf somewhere! Bless his heart, he had to listen to me cry for the first few minutes, I was so happy to hear from him. We decided that at night, even though we were so far apart, that we would look up at the moon and look for the closest star that we saw and that would be our star. That way it wouldn't seem so far away. Bless his heart, he was trying, I think, to calm down his hysterical friend who was not dealing with his deployment with any kind of grace or sanity...

And THAT is what he asked if I remembered last week when he called. And I didn't. And I am mortified and embarrassed that something that wonderful had slipped my mind. I am so proud of Sean now...he is still in the Air Force, thank GOODNESS he's still at home and not deployed again. He has a wonderful wife that he worships and two beautiful children.

So to my Artsy Fartsy Friend Duckie...thanks for reminding me...I'll be looking for that star and remembering that I'm not alone...and that somewhere out there, you've got a chicken salad lid ready to put in a prop box, a Levi's 501 commercial to sing in four part harmony, and a little yellow pickup truck just waiting to give me a ride around to the front of the school. See? I do remember some things...

No comments:

Music Monday: Of Living Masterpieces

I will admit to being low-key obsessed and potentially hyper fixated on the latest album from an artist I'd never really heard of before...