21 April 2006

I used to really like dogs...just not downward facing

In my quest to lose the extra person I'm lugging about in the form of being overweight, I've landed, I think, on a plan that I can stick to because I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying yoga. I'm using a video called AM/PM Yoga for Beginners at the moment and while it is HARD and PAINFUL I already feel better and have only been at it a few days. One of the best things about yoga is that it isn't hard to learn, just requires practice. The poses are not easy, but they are not impossible.

I used to really like dogs until I tried the downward facing dog pose. Holy moly, do I even have hamstrings? I think my favorite one so far is upward facing dog, even though it gives me a cramp in one of my toes sometimes. Cobra pose leads to upward facing dog in the routine I'm using, and just makes my whole back feel good.

I'm also really into the meditation part. My brain runs ninety-to-nothing most of the time, and this is a good reminder to me that I need to slow down and concentrate. I'm finding that I get more done during the day and don't just get lost in a sea of trying to do sixteen things at once.

Namaste.

No comments:

Music Monday: Road Trips, Camp Friends, and Philosophy Of Loss

[From a post on the Book of Faces] I want to tell you about my good friend Brina. She was able to get some tickets to see the Indigo Girls l...