07 September 2023

Time to be Brave...like the Lettuce...and Leap.

Right Outta Nowhere by Christine Kane. Lyrics in CC.

 Hey there, all you dozen or so Lettuce Readers. Today's post is going to differ somewhat from my normal musical musings and appearance agendas. Today, I want to tell you something that hasn't been made public yet, but I think it's time to come clean.

Leap, and the net will appear, right?

So, back in June, I got a doctor's appointment with a new doc - hooray for insurance companies that switch up preferred providers, right? Anyway, starting on June 7th, I was seen, poked, prodded, bombarded with several types/levels of radiation, and at the end of it all was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer.

Still leaping, still hoping for that net.

I started chemo on July 31st, and as of this writing am about to finish the first round. It hasn't been too bad, other than my scalp yeeting most of my hair and some days where I just felt not quite right. But I am thankful beyond measure that most of the side effects they warned me about either didn't happen or were so slight that I could manage them. I was also having a week in between each infusion, so that helped with getting me back to normal...ish. 

On the 25th of this month, I will start a new round with a new drug, but this time it will be every week, so here's hoping my luck holds out longer than I fear my eyebrows and eyelashes will. My oncologist says that he sees I am responding well, so I guess that means that the tumor (whom I have named Eugene) is reacting unfavorably to the chemotherapy. Good. I hope it hurts, Eugene. I hope it hurts.

So why am I telling you this? Well, I'm staring down an author appearance at the Upstate Renaissance Faire in Greer, SC this weekend and for the first time I will be out in public, all day, in garb. I've mostly been staying home since diagnosis, and even cancelled my trip to Baltimore for my DayJob™ professional conference before any of this wacky rollercoaster ride started. No one outside of my families of origin and choice have seen me in person, especially since my hair fell out. I needed to be okay with this, I guess, before it became public knowledge.

Am I okay with it now? Of course not, but that keeps me fighting. I'm not a warrior, by any means, but I will be a survivor.

Trusting the net will appear.

So, here goes. I'm taking a first brave step out into a wider world, like my MC Gin did when she was yanked out of the Great Forest in Wanderer. (Y'all didn't think I'd completely stop pushing my books, did you? 😂) I just hope that I can handle what comes with the same grace that she did...and does. I hope to see you at the faire this weekend, at Multiverse in Atlanta in October, and the Geekery Market in Concord in November. I'm usually up for hugs, but I may need masks in place first. 

Leap and the net will appear.

No comments:

May 2024 Newsletter

It's gonna be...May. I really couldn't help myself with that...as I write this, it's the end of April, so I'm not wrong. Mov...